What if I get hit by a driver without insurance/inadequate insurance?

Did you know that in Pennsylvania drivers are required to only maintain $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident in insurance coverage? Assuming the other driver even has insurance, that amount may be sufficient to cover minor injuries suffered in a car accident it will almost certainly not cover the medical expenses, pain and suffering and other damages associated with broken bones, herniated discs and other serious injuries resulting from the negligent actions of another driver.

However, if you are involved in a car accident with a negligent driver who does not have insurance or has inadequate insurance you may still be able to recover damages against your own insurance company. Pennsylvania also requires drivers maintain at least $15,000 of UM/UIM (underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage) per person and $30,000 per accident. Those benefits provided by your own insurance company are available when you have been injured in an accident and the negligent driver’s insurance coverage is inadequate to cover your damages.

The minimum UM/UIM coverage is $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident. Which means you could obtain even higher limits of coverage to protect yourself if you are injured in an accident due to the negligence of others. It is highly recommended that you increase your level of coverage beyond the state required minimum. If you do not know what your coverage is, contact your insurance agent. It may be the only thing that protects you if you are involved in an accident.