Suing a City, Township or School District – What you need to know before you sue

I’m Matthew Mobilio founder of Mobilio Law.  In this video I’m going to talk a little bit about some of the hurdles that injured persons might face when suing a political subdivision such as a city, township or school district.

First and foremost any lawsuit against a city, township or school district (aka political subdivisions) must be brought within the county where the subdivision is located.  For example, a lawsuit against the City of Easton must be brought in Northampton County.  A lawsuit against the Allentown school district must be brought in Lehigh County.  Now, that assumes you can even bring a claim.  Pursuant to the political subdivision tort claims act, political subdvisions are actually immune from lawsuits except in very specific situations.    There are eight categories of exceptions, which are:

  • Vehicle liability
  • Care, custody or control of personal property
  • Real Property (real estate)
  • Trees, traffic controls and street lighting
  • Utility service facilities
  • Streets
  • Sidewalks
  • Care, custody or control of animals

While it may seem like those categories cover every possible situation, each category has its own additional exclusions and requirements.   Also, these laws do not cover lawsuits against the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and its agencies such as PennDOT which are subject to a whole other set of exclusions and requirements.

There is also a limitation on damages recoverable against a political subdivision.  You can only recover against a political subdivision for pain and suffering in instances of death or in cases of a permanent loss of a bodily function, permanent disfigurement or permanent dismemberment where the medical expenses are in excess of $1,500.

If you have a question regarding a lawsuit against a political subdivision contact me today for a free no obligation case evaluation.