If I am in a car accident does it matter what insurance I have?

When you choose an automobile insurance policy your insurance agent will typically ask you if you want limited tort or full tort coverage. Because limited tort coverage is cheaper, many people choose that option without really knowing the difference. Although limited tort coverage is cheaper, if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, the difference in coverage could cost you thousands.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident due to the negligence of another driver and have chosen limited tort coverage for your own vehicle you can only recover damages from the negligent party’s insurance company for your medical bills. You cannot recover for pain and suffering and other non-monetary damages such as loss of life’s pleasures unless the injuries suffered fit the definition of “serious injury”.

For example, if you are rear-ended and suffer only a neck sprain, if you chose limited tort coverage you would only be entitled to reimbursement for your medical bills but not for the pain and suffering you may have endured for weeks or months thereafter. Car accidents can leave lasting, harmful effects that do not show up on an x-ray or MRI. When you choose Limited Tort, you waive your right to recover compensation for those lifelong after effects.

Full tort coverage on the other hand allows you to be compensated for the full range of damages that can be recovered under Pennsylvania Law. If you have limited tort coverage or if you do not know what coverage you have, call your insurance agent today and ask them about how to change your coverage so that you can protect yourself in the event of a car accident caused by a negligent or careless driver.

If you have chosen limited tort coverage and you are injured in an accident, the severity of your injury may determine whether you can recover for pain and suffering. You need an attorney who knows what the insurance companies are looking for when determining the severity of your injuries. You need Mobilio Law. Call or email me today for a free, no obligation case evaluation.